17 January, 2011

Book vs Movie

I have always been an avid reader. As a teenager I read and read and read. These days I try to kill two birds with one stone, as they say, and listen to audio books while doing household chores and cooking. Whenever a movie is based on a book I have read, I always enjoy watching them and trying to pick out the differences to the book (there are always differences - how can you fit a book into a 2hr movie.

Obviously some movie studios do a better job of converting a book into a movie, than others. Some books to movie combos I have both read and watched include:

Black Beauty
Tomorrow when the war began
Looking for Alibrandi
Harry Potter (all 7)
Pride and Prejudice
Lord of the Rings
Eragon

My very favourite audio books (ones that I listen to regularly) include: The Guernsey and Potato Peel Pie Society, Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, Rousabout and Jillaroo.

So today, I decided I needed a new audio book to listen to while cooking. I went down to Chapters (our local bookstore) to look at the audio books and was devastated that none caught my eye. So then I decided to do something I should have done ages ago - get a membership with the local library. There I found two audio books - Summer at the Villa Rosa by Nicky Pellegrino and PS I Love you by Cecelia Ahern. Now you, as I have, may have seen the movie. I cried through most parts of the movie and didn't realise that it had been a book first. So in the great tradition of reading books that are movies, I borrowed it.

As expected it is very different but I'm loving it.

So try something new - listen to an audio book!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment