09 July, 2010

Goals

Thank goodness for technology.



Tonight I had an amazing online chat with a friend I had lost touch with years ago. We recently got back in contact but it was more the kind of contact you have with an aquaintance. Then BOOM tonight we had the most real conversation either of us had had in ages, about the topic that dominates our lives, our weight.


Let me give you some background. In 2005 I decided that the time had come for me to do something about my ballooning weight. I started going to Weight Watchers and over the nex 6 months lost 30kgs. I plateaued out, met my husband, dealt with the emotional crisis' which seemed to plague us, got married and lost my focus.


The photo below was me at Easter 2006 with my lovely Uncle Noel.




This is me 4 years later with my gorgeous friend Moira. I have put the weight back on and then some.



Marko and I have been going to the gym between 2 and 4 times a week for 3 or 4 months. I am fitter, but no lighter and certainly no slimmer. I know it is food that is the problem, and until today I was not ready to change my nasty habits.


So my friend Sonia and I have decided to get back on the weight loss merry-go-round. I have come to realise several things:


1. I will struggle with my weight all my life.

2. I need to develop a change in my lifestyle and my thought patterns in order to make this change permanently.

3. I need some extrinsic motivation to get started and to give myself something to work towards.

4. I need to be able to share the journey with someone and have someone who understands what it like to look in the mirror and think 'oh my god, how did it come to this' then head for the fridge or cupboard to eat the feelings away.

5. Not doing something about my weight will make it harder for me to fall pregnant.

6. I want to fall pregnant next year!


I know this is a detour away from my craft and hobbies, but this needed to be written down. I need to keep track of why I'm doing this and keep a record of my progress.


So my goals are:

To lose 15 - 25 kgs (between .5 and 1 kg per week) by Christmas.
To keep going to the gym 4 nights per week.
At each 5 kg mark reward myself - not sure how yet - and take a photo.
To only weigh myself once per week then inform Sonia of my progress.
To think positively about myself and what I can achieve.


Here goes!!

Emily xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment